Rss Feed
  1. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

    Sunday, January 31, 2010

    'I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during the day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

    My name is Kvothe. You may have heard of me'

    Go read this book. Right now.

    Occasionally you know that you are going to love a book within reading the first couple of pages. For me, The Name of the Wind was one such book. The Name of the Wind serves as a reminder of what makes good fantasy and has renewed my love of the genre.

    There is a vast difference between Kvothe ("pronounced nearly the same as "quothe"."), the little boy who grew up in a traveling troupe of performers, and "Kote", the keeper of a failing inn in a small town, and between them lies the tale of Kvothe "Kingslayer", "Bloodless", "Arcane". While there is action and adventure, this first book of the Kingkiller Chronicles is very much the story about the person Kvothe was before he became a thing of legends, where he came from and how he started on the path to the man he became and who he is today, while also being full of promise of great events to come in the following books.

    In realising that The Name of the Wind is a debute novel, it is a really amazing piece of work. It is clear that Rothfuss is dedicated to creating a world with it's own unique culture and history. Magic, or "sympathy" as it is known, has a role and as do some fantastical creatures. There is a fascinating aspect of seeking the truths behind superstitions, tales, and songs and through this Rothfuss has succesfully made the unbelievable aspects believable in terms of his reality.

    When I first picked up The Name of the Wind, I balked a little at it's length as lately I have not had so much time to sit and read longer books to give them the time and dedication that I felt that this one would deserve. However, once I picked it up I became engrossed in the world and life of Kvothe, finding it difficult to set the book down. While reading I experienced a range of emotions, from laughter to having tears burning in my eyes (minding that I do cry at the drop of a hat, so to speak) and found the role of music on Kvothe's life to be particularly touching. In addition, I found the language flowed well and that the novel was well paced, making for an easy read. Upon finishing The Name of the Wind I felt the kind of satisfaction that comes with having just finished reading something wonderful, having found a new favourite book, and the need to visit again in the very near future.

    Ignore any release dates that you have seen around for the second book of the Kingkiller Chronicle, The Wise Man's Fear, according to Patrick Rothfuss' website, all such dates are incorrect and he is still working on the book. I will be waiting patiently, however very eagerly, for the sequel.

    Terra

  2. 2 comments:

    1. I am so glad you found the time to get through this book. I know it is rather long, but it is sooooo worth the time to read it. I love the writing style Patrick has. This book was like poetry and music mixed into a fantasy. I loved it! I am trying to be patient on waiting for the second book. I really want to know where we go from here...

      Thanks for the great review!

    2. I love seeing positive reviews of NotW! I too loved Kvothe. Also loved the role of music and the back story of his family (so sad!).

      Excellent review :-)

    Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...