Rss Feed
  1. V for Vendetta

    Thursday, November 5, 2009

    The pounding in my skull and the drowsy sinus tablets both tell me that I should be sleeping right now. My desire not to fail at NaBloPoMo tells me that I should post instead. However, should this review descend in to gibberish that might just pass as English if you squint and turn your head to just the right angle, you know why. I will probably entirely rewrite this review in the morning but I am posting it now to make it count. In fact, it may be best just to ignore this post until then...

    Seeing as it is the fifth of November I decided to review one of my favourite movies, V for Vendetta.

    Summary from Amazon.com as I do not feel up to writing my own at the moment:
    Set against the futuristic landscape of totalitarian Britain, V For Vendetta tells the story of a mild-mannered young woman named Evey (Natalie Portman) who is rescued from a life-and-death situation by a masked man (Hugo Weaving) known only as "V." Incomparably charismatic and ferociously skilled in the art of combat and deception, V ignites a revolution when he urges his fellow citizens to rise up against tyranny and oppression. As Evey uncovers the truth about V's mysterious background, she also discovers the truth about herself - and emerges as his unlikely ally in the culmination of his plan to bring freedom and justice back to a society fraught with cruelty and corruption.

    Written by the Wachowski's (I don't think we are supposed to call them brothers any more from what I have heard,) of Matrix fame and directed by James McTeigue, V for Vendetta is based on Alan Moore's graphic novel by the same title.

    What makes this film truely amazing is Hugo Weaving, who plays the role of V. For the entirety of the film, Weaving is hidden from head to toe behind a Guy Fawks mask and black clothing. You see nothing of his face, his eyes are completely obscured, and yet the character of V is brought to full life on the screen.

    V's dialogue is also by far the most entertaining. Just try keeping track of all those words starting with the letter v!
    "VoilĂ ! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V."
    Half the fun is in breaking down such speeches and learning that vichyssoise is "a thick creamy potato soup flavored with leeks and onions, usually served cold." (From dictionary.com)

    I suppose, that Natalie Portman should get a most admirable shout out for getting her head shaved on screen. Yikes! Though, am I the only one who finds it absolutely hilarious that the complaint "you cut my hair!" is what she complains about before "you tortured me!" because, if it were me, torture would be number one on my list of complaints.

    I also appreciated that the film began with a brief scene, set to the famous "remember, remember the fifth of November..." to educate those of us not from the UK about Guy Fawkes and the Gunpowder Plot. (Robert Catesby who lead the conspirators, as always, is forgotten however it is intended to be a very brief "oh, look see - this is Guy Fawkes.) Here in Australia Bonfire night has been tragically long forgotten mostly due to the fact that fireworks are mostly banned for average Joe.

    I would like to go in to the whole totalitarian dystopia plotline and of course the role V as either a terrorist or a freedom fighter but my brain just really isn't churning out the words for me right now to say much more intelligent beyond "Hugo Weaving good, braaiinnss...." Let's also not forget the whole "eggy in the basket" issue. I am scratching my head trying to remember a great little bit that V tells Evey about anarchy in the graphic novel.

    I am going to go ahead and post this even though this post is going to get a major overhaul tomorrow, just so I can get my post in for the day. Bleh. Aren't I just terrible? If you like, you can blame Nanowrimo which has caused me to silence my inner editor who would normally be all over this post for quality control.

    Ow. My head. =(

    Terra

  2. 0 comments:

    Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...