Rss Feed
  1. Splendid Betta Splendens

    Wednesday, May 19, 2010


    Yesterday I meet a new friend. My new fish is a male Betta Splenden - often called fighting fish as the males are really aggressive toward each other and will fight to the death. He is a lovely red colour (the above photo really doesn't do his colour justice) with silver flecks.

    Now the tricky part has been picking his name! Kvothe is a currently in the lead. Kvothe is the awesome fiery red-headed main character from Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind. King Weasley (he never lets the quaffle in) was also up for red-haired consideration. Perhaps Wranger? ("Coz he's a wranger, Sir!")

    Other suggested names include Kraken (because he is a ferocious fighting fish!), Sheldon (as in from The Big Bang Theory), and Stephen Fry (all hail the Tweet).

    What names would you suggested for my delightful new fishy friend? Fish naming is serious business!

    I also came across this adorable photo taken by my brother of Jasper hiding in the garden. He used to love to dig up cool spots to lie in to get away from the heat. I still love and miss him dearly but it's easier to look back now and smile instead of cry.

    Any tips on caring for my new fighting fish are of course welcome. I would rather if my fish-care learning curb didn't kill the little guy. D=

    Terra

  2. 4 comments:

    1. Anonymous said...

      How about Baron Harkonnen after the bloodthirsty, redheaded family in Dune?

    2. LOVE that picture of Jasper. So cute.

      I loved my bettas. My first suggestion is to have the largest tank possible. I had mine in a 3 gal tank (I know, that is a sin for some betta people- too small) but he did well and lived for 5 years. That way you don't have to clean it as often. Also, save some of the old water for the good bacteria. You need some for it to thrive.

      I kinda like King Weasley. :)

    3. vvb32 reads said...

      those fighting fish are beautiful. and fierce name!

    4. I always loved having betas. :) I had a snuffer glass (large one) that was divided into 4 quarters. One Beta in each section and a peace lily living in the top. I alway loved it. :) Hope you enjoy your fish. They are always fun to watch.

    Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...